Monday, September 4, 2017

Sabo


Sabo

This is a memorial for my dear friend Sabo Saleh who died a few years ago. Sabo Saleh was my classmate in medical school and we also started out residency together. We had many memorable times with each other. Here is one incident that I remember distinctly.

Sabo was the son of a farmer from a small village in Bauchi State in Northern Nigeria. His family was of modest means and most people in his village became farmers. Sabo was different. He excelled in his elementary school and got a scholarship to secondary school. Over there, he excelled again and was eventually admitted to medical school at the Ahmadu Bello University in Zaria, Northern Nigeria. I was his classmate.

Sabo was muscular, stocky and a picture of strength. He was characteristically bold and feared no one. He never hesitated to speak his mind and could be quite blunt. This attitude would sometimes get him into trouble, but he was much liked by his classmates. We all respected his fearless attitude and we knew that he had a great heart underneath that gruff exterior.  

After graduation and an internship year, Sabo eventually started a residency in General Surgery. By that time, I had started a residency in Orthopedics. We would meet often in the hospital.

One particular day in early 1993, we were both working in Operation Theater two. I was with the Orthopedics team and Sabo was with the General Surgery team. The other resident in Surgery was our mutual friend Ahmed. Like Sabo, he was also from Bauchi state. On that day, for some reason, Sabo was mercilessly teasing and taunting him in his characteristic style. However, it was all in good fun and all of us were laughing.

I went in for a case, and then when I came out, Sabo was scrubbed in another Surgery case. In the physicians lounge I come across Ahmed. He was sneaking out Sabo’s clothes from the changing room. What are you doing I asked? He put a finger to his lips and said to me, “Quiet, I am getting back at Sabo, don’t say anything”. He explained that he was only going to hide the clothes for a little bit as a prank.


It appeared a harmless prank, and I thought nothing of it. I went back in for another case. When I got out, there was pandemonium in the physician’s lounge. Sabo had come out and noticed his missing clothes. He became upset as his home keys were in his pockets and he thought somebody might use them to break into his house. He got another resident to drive him home immediately while still in scrubs. The theater staff was busy trying to find the missing clothes and keys.

I ran back in and grabbed Ahmed who was just coming out of another case and told him. A look of fear came over Ahmed. He looks at me and says Sabo will kill us. Us, I say? Why us? I have nothing to do with this I protested! You knew about it he replied, that makes you an accomplice. Now take me to him so I can return his stuff to him. Ahmed later told me that he wanted me along as he thought Sabo will then go easier on us, since he was my good friend.

So, we changed and I drove Ahmed to Sabo’s apartment. Sabo was standing outside his locked door, not looking happy. We ran up to him, both pleading for forgiveness even though I was not sure what I was apologizing for. A surprising thing then happened. Sabo started laughing. I think he saw the fear on our faces and found it very funny. In the end, there were no hard feelings.

Some months later I was leaving for America and both Ahmed and Sabo were at my farewell reception. The very macho Sabo had tears in his eyes as he hugged me and bade me farewell. I never realized at that time that it would be the last time I ever saw him.

A few years ago, Sabo was diagnosed with cancer. This cancer took the life of my strong and tough friend leaving behind a wife and three small children. I will never forget the fun times with him and pray that his soul rests in perfect peace.




As students with Sabo in 1989



With Ahmed in 1993



In Operating theater two in 1992

2 comments:

  1. When I saw this,tears came to my eyes,our dad came to my mind(sabo),he was a man of integrity, he was always jovial even on his sickbed.May Arrahman have mercy on his soul,may jannatul firdaus be his final abode, amin

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was a very strong man yet full of integrity and kindness. I admired him tremendously. I hope he is smiling at us from jannatul firdaus. Ameen.

    ReplyDelete