Saturday, May 27, 2017

The Croup


The Croup

In my career in Medicine, I have seen many challenging patients. I remember one particular little girl in my early years. The dedication and skills of the doctors treating her made a great impression on me. This is her story.

It was 1990, and I was doing my internship year after graduating from medical school. I was at the Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital in Zaria, Nigeria. Our Internship was also known as the ‘Housejob’ and involved us rotating in the different departments of Surgery, Pediatrics, Internal Medicine and Obstetrics and Gynecology.

After 3 months in Surgery, I had come to Pediatrics. My good friend and former classmate Kabir Abubakar had already been in Pediatrics for a couple of months and quickly showed me the ropes. He took me around the EPU (Emergency Pediatric Unit) and introduced me to the patients. He taught me how to calculate doses of medications for these small children and how to obtain intravenous lines.

Kabir was my friend, and also a great teacher. I had a good first day, but towards the evening, we heard a small commotion in our intake area where the Pediatric emergencies were brought. It was a frantic Mom, with her 4-year-old daughter. Her daughter had developed a cold followed by breathing difficulties.

Both Kabir and I rushed to her side. She was having difficulty breathing. We diagnosed croup with epiglottitis. This is an infection of the trachea that can become serious in small children. We tried conservative measures initially, but she was not getting better. We called our anesthetist to intubate her. Intubation would be difficult as she was so small and likely had inflammation in the trachea.

While waiting for the anesthetist, Kabir told me that we should be ready to do an emergency tracheostomy (a small hole in her neck) if she gets into acute distress. Have you done one before, I asked him. No, he said, but this is an emergency, and he had his scalpel ready. He also told me to have a large bore needle we could stick in the trachea as an alternative. I was nervous, and I marveled at his calmness as he continued to provide the child with oxygen and other conservative measures.

Suddenly the Anesthesia team showed up. They rushed the child to the Operating room and intubated her. She was subsequently moved to the Intensive Care Unit. With her airway restored she became much more calmer and was breathing comfortably. Eventually, she was taken off the ventilator and remained comfortable with the breathing tube in place.

Our Pediatrics team continued to follow the patient. During this time Kabir rotated off Pediatrics, and was replaced by another close friend and classmate, Adoyi Ameh. At this time, an attempt was made to remove the breathing tube, but she immediately went into respiratory distress and had to have the tube reinserted.

Another course of antibiotics and steroids followed, but she again failed attempts to remove the tube two more times. Subsequently, our team decided to see if she could be evaluated by an Ear Nose and Throat Surgeon. Unfortunately, we did not have one on staff at that time and we decided to take her to see one in the nearby town of Kaduna.

We arranged an ambulance to take her there, and our senior registrar decided that one of the house officers will accompany her. I was chosen even though that would mean that poor Adoyi would be manning the Emergency Pediatric Unit alone at the height of the meningitis epidemic. However, Adoyi is an amazing guy and with great grace, simply said “Go, I will take care of everything here”.

So, I sat in an ambulance for the first time in my life for the one hour ride. We saw the ENT doctor who said he could do a tracheostomy, but said he did not have the ability to provide her the care afterwards. Defeated, I came back to our hospital. Adoyi had managed all the admissions alone for that day superbly.

Our Surgical team then decided to do the tracheostomy and take out the tube themselves. The child did very well and was able to be eventually discharged home. At a subsequent follow up, the tracheostomy tube was removed and the child made a full recovery.

About a year later, I was walking in the local Sabon Gari market, when I heard an excited voice shouting ‘Doctor’! I turned around and it was the mother of the child. I asked her how her daughter was? She turned around to show me the clothing store she ran in the market and inside was a happy little girl playing. A small scar on her neck was the only reminder of her illness. The Mom thanked me profusely. I reminded her that I was just a small part of the large team of doctors that took care of her daughter.

Kabir went on to become an Orthopedic Surgeon, Adoyi Ameh a Pediatric Surgeon. I came to America and became an Infectious Disease Physician. I will however never forget the selfless way in which all those doctors came together to help this child who is probably a grown woman today.

Zia with Kabir in the EPU 1990, inset is Adoyi Ameh.

2 comments:

  1. Masha Allah actually the way you said that is the way Dr Kabir Abubakar is a man with integrity thank you too Dr

    ReplyDelete
  2. This statement "I was nervous, and I marveled at his calmness as he continued to provide the child with oxygen and other conservative measures." made me remember when I was admitted at FMC Katsina and was booked for a surgery (multiple femural fracture), my dad was worried then and Dr. Kabir looked at him in a calm and confident manner and told him "he will be fine" and in the theater room, he also operates professionally, skillfully and confidently. Masha Allah, I can now walk perfectly without any sign of deformity.

    ReplyDelete